Black Diamond Trail Master Plan
New York State Parks and Recreation, Tompkins County, New York
Larsen Engineers prepared a Master Plan and Draft Environmental Impact Statement for a proposed 15-mile, multiple-use trail through the Town of Ithaca, City of Ithaca, and Town of Ulysses in Tompkins County. This trail connects four (4) state park facilities that include Robert H. Treman, Buttermilk Falls, Allan H. Treman and Taughannock Falls Parks. The Master Plan provides a framework for the construction and management of the trail, and will provide needed information for future grant applications.
Larsen’s scope of work included gathering background data, preparation of a detailed work plan; developing goals and objectives; public coordination and outreach; preparation of schematic plans for trail route, surface, and infrastructure; preparation of cost estimates; proposing management, operations, and implementation recommendations; evaluating the environmental impacts of the project; and preparing a combined Master Plan/Environmental Impact Statement document.
Rush-Honeoye Creek Greenway Plan
Town of Rush, New York
Larsen Engineers prepared an “Inter-municipal Community Development Plan” for the Hamlet of Rush, New York, and linear trail system (future Greenway) paralleling Honeoye Creek and including the Village of Honeoye Falls. The project will result in a strategic development plan for the Hamlet and adjacent Greenway that will coordinate prior plans of four municipalities, promote inter-governmental cooperation, target economic development, prepare strategies for open space preservation (necessary to preserve the integrity of the corridor), involve the public and other stakeholders in decision making, and prepare a unified action plan / strategy for advancing public objectives, implementing projects, and managing the Greenway corridor.
Comprehensive Energy Management and Sustainable Development Plan
City of Auburn and Cayuga County, New York
Larsen Engineers was hired by the City of Auburn and Cayuga County to Conduction a Comprehensive Energy Management & Sustainable Development Plan. The City of Auburn in consultation with Larsen Engineers applied for and was awarded a New York State Quality Communities grant. The project has brought together municipal governments, industry, utilities, educational institutions, labor, environmental and community organizations to develop a long term strategic plan to conserve energy, maximize the use of renewable energy and create a model for small city sustainability. Completed in 2008.
Under the scope of this project, the tasks included:
- Formation and capacity building for 8 citizen task forces focusing on essential traits of sustainability: Alternative Energy and Conservation; Parks and Recreation, Open Spaces, and Transportation; Housing, Codes and Policies, Public Spaces; Business and Economic Development; Agriculture and Food Waste Management; Solid Waste Management; Healthy Schools; Water and Storm Water Management.
- Analysis of long term energy demand and the benefits of a sustainable local economy.
- Sustainable Needs Assessment Survey of municipal leaders and key community stakeholders.
- The Planning and Implementation of the May 31, 2008 Sustainable Economic Development and Energy Efficiency Summit attended by over 100 participants.
- Preparation of a strategic framework for implementing, funding and monitoring the recommendations in the Comprehensive Energy Management and Sustainable Development Plan.